I’ve been running my Create A Profitable Online Store Course for several years now and up until the middle of last year, it’s been selling reasonably well.
For example during 2012 and 2013, I averaged about 150K per year in revenue through affiliate marketing and selling my class using the principles I outlined in my 2013 FINCON talk.
But here’s the thing.
It’s really difficult to sell an informational product successfully online. And especially in my case, I find myself at a consistent disadvantage because of the following factors.
- My course is priced on the higher end – As a result, my class is definitely not an impulse buy and it often takes quite a while for someone to decide to make a purchase.
- I don’t have the time or energy to host large launches to sell my product online – As a result, I leave enrollment open all year long and there’s very little scarcity or sense of urgency to push people to sign up.
- I sell into an industry that traditionally has lots of scammers and poseurs – There are hundreds of “make money online” types of classes out there and most of them are terrible. So I often have to go the extra mile to convince people that my course is legit.
It also doesn’t help that I constantly raise the price of my course throughout the year which further deters new customers from making a purchase.
Back in 2011, my class was only $299 and today it’s $799.
Get My Free Mini Course On How To Start A Successful Ecommerce Store
If you are interested in starting an ecommerce business, I put together a comprehensive package of resources that will help you launch your own online store from complete scratch. Be sure to grab it before you leave!
What Changed Last Year
Now making $150K per year isn’t bad and I would have been perfectly happy with those numbers had I not interviewed my friend Dan Faggella on my podcast last year.
Now if you’ve followed my blog for a while, you’ve probably all taken my free 6 day mini course on how to start an online store by now.
If not, then click here to check it out
Anyway, this free mini course (delivered via email) is a little teaser for my full blown class. It is also the primary way that I make sales for all of my affiliate offers and online courses.
In fact, I’d go as far as to say that this email autoresponder is responsible for 90% of my revenues and up until the middle of 2014, I thought that I’d been doing everything perfectly.
But after talking to Dan, I realized that I’d been leaving a lot of money on the table by not implementing a few key strategies with my sales funnel.
Long story short, in the latter half of 2014 I made some dramatic changes to my email autoresponder sequence which effectively tripled the number of sales of my online store course.
As a result, I ended the year making double what I did the previous year.
How I Tripled The Sales Of My Class
The video below is a presentation that I gave at the FINCON Expo in 2014. It’s roughly 30 minutes in length and it teaches you what I did to increase my sales so dramatically in 2014.
Specifically, I go over the following topics.
- How to double the rate of email signups for your website
- How to take advantage of human psychology to increase the conversion rate of your emails
- The exact changes I made to triple the sales of my Create A Profitable Online Store Course
Note: This video is the sequel to the first talk I gave in 2013 entitled How I Made Over $300K These Past 2 Years With An Email Autoresponder.
I also want to give my buddy Phil Taylor some props for letting me give this presentation at the FINCON Expo last year. If you enjoy the video below, come to FINCON as I will likely be talking again this year.
Related Posts In Email Marketing
- The Highest Converting Email Signup Form To Grow Your List
- Order Confirmation Emails: Templates And Best Practices For Ecommerce
- How To Prevent Spam Email Signups And Cut Your Email Marketing Costs By 30%
- 7 Email Autoresponders That Make Money On Autopilot For Your Online Store
- MailChimp Vs Aweber – A Comparison Of Two Email Marketing Providers
Steve Chou is a highly recognized influencer in the ecommerce space and has taught thousands of students how to effectively sell physical products online over at ProfitableOnlineStore.com.
His blog, MyWifeQuitHerJob.com, has been featured in Forbes, Inc, The New York Times, Entrepreneur and MSNBC.
He's also a contributing author for BigCommerce, Klaviyo, ManyChat, Printful, Privy, CXL, Ecommerce Fuel, GlockApps, Privy, Social Media Examiner, Web Designer Depot, Sumo and other leading business publications.
In addition, he runs a popular ecommerce podcast, My Wife Quit Her Job, which is a top 25 marketing show on all of Apple Podcasts.
To stay up to date with all of the latest ecommerce trends, Steve runs a 7 figure ecommerce store, BumblebeeLinens.com, with his wife and puts on an annual ecommerce conference called The Sellers Summit.
Steve carries both a bachelors and a masters degree in electrical engineering from Stanford University. Despite majoring in electrical engineering, he spent a good portion of his graduate education studying entrepreneurship and the mechanics of running small businesses.