For the past year, I’ve become accustomed to waking up early in the morning with several orders already waiting for me in my email inbox. Let me tell you.
It’s nice knowing that money is being made during the night even though I’m asleep the entire time. A few days ago however, I got up and there was not a single order in my email even by 9am.
Naturally I was suspicious, so I immediately went to our online store expecting to find something wrong. Nope! Everything seemed to be normal so I decided to wait it out a little longer. Several more hours passed and still not a single order came in. I was getting worried.
Finding The Culprit
Several things were going through my head. Do we have a new competitor that is stealing all of our business? Is no one getting married anymore?
Did Google de-index our website? Was this the end of our wedding linens store? As you can see, my neurotic side started coming out.
While it isn’t entirely unusual to have some slow days while running the store, having absolutely no orders for the day is something that hasn’t happened for a very long time. So I ran a quick battery of tests.
- Did a search on Google for our main search terms. Searches came back on front page as normal.
- Called the ISP to see if there was any suspicious outages that I wasn’t aware of. Nope!
- Went through our website and placed a few items in the shopping cart. Everything was working as it should
- Checked up on our competitors to see if anything looked suspicious. Nope! No new competitors.
In short, everything looked fine. Meanwhile my wife was telling me that everything was ok and not to worry.
Finally, the ultra paranoid personality within me decided to physically go through the checkout process exactly how a customer would. Lo and behold, one of the pages during checkout was hanging!
Don’t use any third party code that is hosted on another server unless absolutely necessary! If you do decide to use code or graphics from another server, make sure that it’s a reputable and established company.
I’m not sure how much money we lost during that half day but it was enough to make me annoyed. In any case, just keep this in mind the next time you decide to add that extra badge or 3rd party code to your site.
By adding that code, you are essentially giving your website yet another point of failure.
- 6 Ways To Speed Up The Loading Of Your Website
- The Easiest Way To Start A Fully Featured Online Store Without The Headaches
- How To Prevent Comment Spam From Crashing Your WordPress Blog And Taking Down Your Server
- How To Use Adwords The Right Way With Your Online Store
Have you read these?
- How To Run An Online Store From Home And Handle Inventory Out Of Your Garage
- Student Shop – How Tracey Created A Profitable Online Store Selling Fair Trade Jewelry
- Making A 6 Figure Income With Our Online Store – How Much Work Does It Take?
- 2 Simple Tweaks That Doubled My Email List Signups And My Take On Single Vs Double Optin
- How I Increased Email Signups 131% With A Wheel Of Fortune Popup For My Shop